"There is another world, but it is in this one." -Paul Eluard

10.10.2009

Of yogi tips and tortilla chips

G'day mates-
As of Tuesday I am now officially employed by the awesome staff of Punto Berro Hostel as none other than the resident yoga teacher! Hostels are always looking for a way to set themselves apart since travelers often have numerous options of where to stay in a city. My hosts liked my idea of offering free yoga classes to hostel residents, and in exchange for teaching 4-7 times a week they are giving me a free bed to sleep in every night! I am overjoyed that my invented job has become a reality and it will allow me to stay here through the end of November as I had hoped!

Montevideo is an interesting and unique city.  I think there is less tourism here than in Buenos Aires- Uruguay is not as on the map as Argentina- so people are always asking 'why montevideo' when I say that I have chosen to live here for a few months...
The city itself seems to be 20 years back in time- everything looks sort of antique but new, from the cars to the streets to the people. Uruguay used to be quite a wealthy country in the 50s (they call it the switzerland of South America) but then the economy crashed and now people don't have that much money so they maintain everything in very good condition. Cars that are 20 years old are impeccable, the sidewalks are washed (literally washed with soapy water and a broom), buildings could use a paint job but for being 100 years old are looking darn good. Anyone over 50 dresses in a manner that I can only think of describing as dapper- men in slacks, a collared button down shirt, a sweater vest and maybe a scarf. A euro circa 1950 style... The younger people however are very funky and hip. Skinny jeans are in, skirts with tights and converse, 80s print shirts, etc. Like a mix between hipster, euro, and hippy...

This weekend I have 2 dear friends from Boulder visiting me. Ben is currently living in Buenos Aires and Eve in Sao Paulo Brazil. They teamed up in BA and hopped on the boat over here to take advantage of the long weekend this weekend! It has been so awesome to see them and it somehow reaffirms that yes, this really is real and I really am living in Uruguay. Plus they are pretty much the only people I know around here who could really share my deep appreciation for the fact that the Mexican restaurant we tracked down last night had super spicy salsa and real tortilla chips... funny what you miss when your abroad...   
Well I will leave you all now as I must go prepare to teach my class tonight! Miss you all!
-cate

3 comments:

  1. Pasenla lindo... disfruten de estar juntos... ben pase su cumple alla o aca???? prontito estare yo por alla...
    los quierooooooooooo millll...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicitaciones Cate! Me alegro que hayas encontrado tu camino en Uruguay y que estés contenta. Te mando un fuerte abrazo y mil besos desde Palma, Mallorca. Qué te vaya muy lindo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/18/2009

    How goes the yogaing chica? Thanks for an awesome fin de semana! Check out the pics: evearielle.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/in-montevideo-with-an-uruguayogi
    Besos,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete