"There is another world, but it is in this one." -Paul Eluard

9.28.2009

Welcome to Uruguay

Phase 2 of my travels has begun... This morning I dragged myself out
of warm bed at 7:30 am to face the bitter cold wind and the chaos of
Buenos Aires in morning rush hour to get to the port. By 9:30 I was
all checked in for my boat ride, had passed through customs for two
different countries, and was comfortably seated on board an enormous
Buquebus- a mass transit type boat that runs between Argentina and
Uruguay several times daily. Though it was cold the river was
fortunately calm and we had a smooth 3 hour cruise over 'the pond'
as many argentines refer to the tremendous Rio de la Plata.

I arrived in Montevideo via bus later in the aftrnoon and was greatful
for my photographic memory when it comes to directions, bus terminals,
etc. I have been to Montevideo once before when I won a grant through
Lewis and Clark to do two weeks of thesis research down here about a
year and a half ago. I loved the city and its people and couldn't wait
to get back. Now I am excited to start discovering the unique culture
and to immerse myself into the daily rhythm of life in my new country
of residence! Tomorrow I will begin a self guided tour of Montevideos
yoga studios, hostels and language institutes to test the waters on
obtaining some type of employment and to get a feel for if my grand
plans are feasable or just pipe dreams...
For now, bienvenidos a Uruguay (via my blog)!!
-cate

No comments:

Post a Comment